HOW CAN YOU
By Pastor Kelly Sensenig
BY KNOWING AND BELIEVING
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:
1. Man is an unrighteous sinner (Romans 3:9, 10, 23; Ecclesiastes 7:20).
2. Man’s sin has separated him from a holy God.
A. Isaiah 53:6 – Man goes his own way in sin.
B. Isaiah 59:2 – Man’s sin is a barrier between him and God.
C. Habakkuk 1:13 – God cannot look upon man’s sin with favor.
3. Man is under the penalty of sin which is spiritual death (Romans 5:12; 6:23; Ephesians 2:1) and the wrath of God’s judgment (John 3:36). Lost mankind is destined to the eternal flames of Hell (Matthew 7:13, 14: Revelation 20:14, 15).
4. As a result of sin, man is the enemy of God and is alienated from Him (Romans 5:10; Ephesians 2:12, 13).
5. Man needs to be reconciled (made right) before God. He needs to be justified (declared legally righteous) before God (Job 9:2; 25:4; II Corinthians 5:20; Ephesians 2:16).
6. Key Point – The only way man can be reconciled (made right) and justified (declared legally righteous) before God is through Jesus Christ alone (Romans 3:24, 26; 5:9, 11; John 14:6; I Peter 3:18).
7. When a lost man receives Jesus Christ as his Savior, Christ then becomes that man’s salvation. Christ’s very own life comes to dwell within him (Colossians 1:27; 3:4; Ephesians 2:5; I John 5:12). This is called the New Birth. Christ’s new life comes into ours and we are born again spiritually with the life of Jesus Christ (John 3:7).
The saved man is also said to be in Christ as well. He is given a spiritual position or standing in Christ (Ephesians 1:3; 2:6). When Christ is in a man and a man is “in Christ”, it is then that Christ becomes perfect righteousness and forgiveness for that man before God the Father. He represents the believer before the Lord (I Corinthians 1:30; II Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 10:14).
Life can only come from life! Jesus Christ is our life. We are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1) and our works are dead (Hebrews 9:14).
8. Key Point – Our deeds (works of law) will never justify us before a holy God (Romans 3:21, 28; Galatians 2:16; 3:11). Our righteous deeds are as filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6). The reason is simple. Our good deeds do not give perfect righteousness before a holy God; therefore, they are unacceptable to Him. God cannot overlook our evil deeds (Romans 3:10).
9. Since our works could never save us or give us a proper standing before God, it is easy to conclude that we are not saved by works, but by the grace and mercy of the Lord (Romans 4:5; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8, 9; Titus 3:5).
10. Christ saves us completely and forever.
A. He died to save us by cleansing us from all our sins (Colossians 1:14;
Hebrews 9:26; I John 1:7) and delivering us from Hell (John 3:16-18).
B. He lives to keep us saved as He represents us before the Father
(Hebrews 7:25; Romans 5:9, 10; 8:34; I John 2:1).
As our priest, Christ shows the value of His own sacrifice before the Father.
To say that Christ does not eternally justify us before God is to say God denies Christ’s work on our behalf. This is a serious offense.
11. We are saved eternally (forever). The reasons are simple:
A. Because of the love of God (Romans 8:38, 39).
B. Because of the promise of God (Titus 1:2).
C. Because of the power of God (I Peter 1:5; II Timothy 1:12; Jude 24).
D. Because of the book of God (the Lamb’s Book of Life). Revelation 3:5 –
our name will never be blotted out of the Lamb’s Book of Life.
E. Because of the birth of God. John 3:3 – we are born spiritually as we are
born physically. We are born only once. Can one be unborn?
F. Because of the power of the Son of God (John 10:28, 29).
Man cannot jump out of Christ’s hand. Is man more powerful than Christ (Matthew 28:18)?
G. Because of the promise of the Son of God (John 3:16; 4:14; 5:24; 6:47, 50).
If it’s not everlasting life, then what kind of life is it? (see Hebrews 5:9).
H. Because of the priestly ministry of the Son of God (Hebrews 7:25).
I. Because of the prayer of the Son of God (John 17:12-15).
J. Because of the sealing of the Spirit of God (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30).
K. Because of the glorification of the saints of God (Romans 8:30).
In the mind of God, we are already glorified with our future body.
L. Because of the inheritance of the saints of God (I Peter 1:4).
Heaven is already reserved for us.
12. If we can do something to lose eternal life:
A. Then the life He promised was not eternal. Christ lied (John 5:24)
and the Father lied (Titus 1:2) in these verses.
B. Then the way we live somehow gave us acceptance before God
in the first place. This is impossible according to key points six and eight.
Jesus Christ justifies (declares us righteous) before God (Romans 5:9-11).
Man’s deeds cannot justify himself before God (Romans 3:28).
13. A person can be saved and know that they will be saved forever.
A. Confess to God that you are a sinner (Romans 3:23).
B. Admit to God that you cannot be accepted before Him and saved
by your works (Romans 5:9; Ephesians 2:8, 9).
C. Recognize the Lord Jesus loved you (Romans 5:8).
D. Realize that Christ died as your sacrifice for the sin that
separates you from God (I Corinthians 15:3, 4).
E. Understand that as your sacrifice, He will wash your sins away
F. Allow Jesus Christ to save you. The Bible explains how you can
do this in simple, child-like ways:
(1) Call upon Him to save you (Romans 10:13).
(2) Receive Him as your Saviour (John 1:12).
(3) Place your faith in Christ alone to save and justify you before God
(4) Believe on Him alone to save your soul (Acts 16:31).
“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ
(not your works)
and thou shalt be saved.”
Salvation is belief, not behavior.
You cannot try and trust at the same time.
Believe on Christ alone to save your soul today!
Then review the points and believe the promises.
Rest in what Christ has done for you and what you cannot do for yourself!
Then you will know that you have eternal life!
“And this is the record,
that God hath given to us eternal life,
and this life is in his Son.
He that hath the Son hath life;
and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
These things have I written unto you
that believe on the name of the Son of God;
that ye may know that ye have eternal life,
and that ye may believe on the name
of the Son of God.”
I John 5:11-13